Sunday, January 17, 2016

Bin Envy

     The struggle is real.

     I am so often greeted by clients with photographs of meticulously organized spaces a la Good Housekeeping or a catalog from The Container Store. Visions of painted wicker or designer burlap dance in their heads this time of year. I imagine my stylist gets the same look on her face when I bring in Pinterest pins from my "Hair" board or the latest clipping of the oh-so-cool celebrity. Fortunately, she knows me better and can see past my hair dreams and deliver what would actually work for me given different factors; face shape, hair texture, time and attention I may give to styling at home, etc.

     In light of my last post you should be able to see that I love their visions, however, just like my hair stylist, part of my job is to determine the balance between style and function for products to organize a space. Often, the magazine images don't depict functional spaces. A magazine cover has been set up purely for aesthetics, not necessarily function.

     If you are overwhelmed with the multitude of products on the market, you're not alone! Not every product will be right for your situation. The needs of your family differ greatly from the empty, styled bins on the front of that magazine. In selecting products for my clients, there are a few guidelines that are helpful:


1. BUDGET

     This one is a biggie! Storage options range from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars depending on size and materials. Solid wood and hand-crafted will take up more of your budget than plastic. The ideal storage solution is one that is FREE! I love repurposing as much as I love standing starry-eyed in the aisles. I have used Altoid tins, matchboxes and my favorite of all time...a plastic insert to a first aid box! It fit the previous "junk drawer" perfectly! The built-in dividers fit scented wax packs, the pens and pencils, measuring tape and batteries. It. Was. Epic. And free!

2. MATERIAL

     The items that you are needing to store may not suit the material of the container that you have your eye on. Wicker bins may snag your favorite sweaters. Plastic laundry bins may work best for holding damp towels in the kids' bathroom rather than the stunning fabric lined basket where the liner isn't removable.


3. FLEXABILITY 

     Change is inevitable! That baby gear won't always be in the living room and Junior's diaper stash will be replaced by shaving gear soon enough. What works now may not work next year and odds are won't work in 5 years. Things shift, items come and go and routines change. Your storage space and what you store certainly will. Invest in a system that is classic and fluid. Storage options that provide options of sizes and ability to rearrange and repurpose will be the best value. However, this point is why I ADORE the Dollar Store for solutions. My very, very, very favorite is the $1 white or black dish pan.
     This is such a gem! It's great for sorting and storing a laundry list of items (and the laundry itself!) The depth allows for a variety of items like paper, projects, puzzles, mason jars with sorted crayons or pencils....I could go on for days! It has small handles on the sides to help kids with carrying  and *ahem* cleanup. I use one exactly like this in my Ikea Trofast system. Like this one.  I have several of the shelf inserts and use a couple of these bins for school supplies, library book storage and even winter items like mittens and scarves. 

     The right storage solution or organizing products for you don't have to break the bank. However, a good system is priceless! If you are in the greater Atlanta area and would like more information or personalized solutions for your home, contact us and see how we can help!






No comments:

Post a Comment