Thursday, October 8, 2009

Dear Help!,

I received the following letter late last night in my inbox. I wanted to respond ASAP, but I thought that many of you had the same concerns so I wanted to address the issues here!

"Overwhelmed doesn't begin to say it. It's already October! I have to bake for my daughter's class, I'm Room Mom for my son next week, my husband has a business trip the 2nd week in November...want me to go on? I haven't even started my Christmas shopping and I'm usually done by now. I know I have time, but Halloween costumes aren't even on my radar. Oh, did I mention that this baby is due December 3rd!!?!? HELP! I'll take any advice!"


Dear Help!

First of all, let me reassure you that you are not alone! I hope I can offer a few tidbits to make your days easier. Let's begin by prioritizing the issues on a timeline. Doing this on a dedicated calander will make the tasks visible and may help ease some anxiety. Your first priority should be taking care of yourself at this time in your pregnancy. So I officially give you permission to take the easy way out for the rest of the year!

Let's start with the first task first. Forget baking! Stop by your favorite grocery store or bakery and pick something up. And do not feel guilty. That can be done the night before, on the way to school, or with your weekly grocery shopping. Voila!

Secondly, if you feel that assisting at the school is beyond your capability right now, say so! See if another mother is willing to step in for you. Never be afraid to ask for help from those around you!

For Halloween and Christmas, don't sweat it! Consider doing your shopping for costumes and gifts online. If you are a UPromise member you may even get money for college for your kids. I suggest everyone sign up. Who doesn't want FREE college money? Is there anything at home your children can use for a costume? Do they have a play doctor kit? Jeans, flannel shirt and eyeliner for a beard can make a great lumberjack! Forget the eyeliner and add boots for a cowboy. Just play dress up!
Christmas can be easy this year by shopping online. Many retailers have discounts and free shipping for orders over a certain dollar amount. Click, buy, and ship all from the comfort of your own home! E-A-S-Y!

Just remember to be creative. The holidays should be fun! Enjoy yourself and the last trimester of your pregnancy!

Best Wishes,

The Stork

No comments:

Post a Comment